Skip to main content

DDO: Autwind Where's your Trousers? (I hate Ooze)


You may wonder why Autwind Horogood, that precocious scholar of the arcane arts, is running around Stormreach in his underwear. If you are astute you may even have noticed the distinct lack of an imposing wizardly staff in his hands.

How has this sorry state of affairs come to pass? Oozes. That is what has led to this.  Squelchy slimy fetid oozes.

Autwind is working his way through a quest arc set in the Kobold infested tunnels of Storm-reach waterworks. Things went well enough for the first couple of missions and large numbers of Kobold were slaughtered.The third mission is set in Clan Tunnelworm's lair and these particular Kobolds are rather remiss in their housekeeping. The lair is filled with rapidly respawning grey oozing creatures. Not only are these oozes immune to my fiery magics they also exude an acidic slime which dissolves weapons and clothing. One minute Autwind was a powerful wizard commanding terrible arcane forces,the next minute he was standing in his underwear looking at the broken fragments of his staff. Autwind managed to complete the instance anyway with the help of his trusty hireling cleric but running around naked in a dangerous lair is no fun.

The repair bills for this are probably going to bankrupt me. I have already spent most of my cash learning new spells (surprisingly expensive by the way) and I amn't getting enough loot from these missions to cover the repairs. This may indeed mark the end of my career as a solo adventurer. Its not just that the missions are getting harder it is also that the economics of DDO seem to be firmly stacked against soloing. Most of the loot from an adventure comes from chests and quest rewards. As far as I can tell these are independent of party size. No /roll is required here, everybody gets to loot the chest. The solo adventurer takes longer to complete a mission and has a much higher repair bill but only gets the same rewards.  

Comments

Stabs said…
What server are you on my friend? I'll help you farm a couple of Muckbanes and you can keep one and sell the other for enough wonga to keep your clothes on.

Don't thank me, I'm doing it for the sake of public decency!
mbp said…
Hi Stabs. My Wizards name is Autwind Horogood on the Thelanis Server. You offer is very generous but remember I am playing in europe - my typical playing slot is 10pm-11:30pm GMT. If you have a character on that server drop me a mail - I have yet to meet up with anyone I know in game and it would be fun. Don't worry too much about the muckbane though. I have my eye on a wizard spell which specifically targets oozes. That should show the b*ggers.
Elric said…
Hi, mbp. As mentioned by Stabs, the most effective way to dispatch oozes and slimes is to get the mace Muckbane from the chest of a named ooze called Muck in the dungeon Durk's got a secret. I'm now level 7 and I'm still using it regularly.
mbp said…
Hello Elric, that sounds like a useful weapon alright. The oozes aren't that hard to kill with normal weapons but the damage to your equipment is very annoying.

I must admit it made me chuckle though that my clothes actually disappeared when they got damaged. In most games you can still wear broken clothes for the sake of decency even if you get no benefit from them.
Modran said…
This happened to a friend's sorceress during one of our run. You can imagine the comments on TS when the party now had a drow woman in underwear.

But she refused to dance for us :(.
mbp said…
Hi Modran ...

What was she doing meleeing oozes in the first place? Isn't a sorceress supposed to stand at the back out of the line of fire? I think you might just have an exhibitionist in your party :)
Stabs said…
My Thelanis character is Drowlette. I've added you to friends and I'm sure I'll bump into you at some point.

The character I'm playing most is Lemmy on Orien if you fancy giving the new server a try (opened last Thursday)

Popular posts from this blog

My First Gaming Mouse: Logitech G300

I bought a gaming mouse yesterday a Logitech G300, here my initial thoughts. What is a gaming mouse?  There are a wide variety of devices available classified as gaming mice but a few features  seem common: 1. Wired rather than wireless: Although some high end models are wireless wired connections are just better and faster than wireless so most gaming mice stick with wired. As a bonus wired mice don't need batteries so the mouse is lighter.  2. High response rate: 1 to 2ms response rate so the mouse immediately responds to input.  2. High DPI. Gaming mice invariable boast high DPI numbers from 2,000 DPI upwards. This makes the device very responsive to the smallest movements.   3. Adjustable DPI . High DPI improves responsiveness but reduces precision so gaming mice generally allow you to adjust the DPI down for precise work such as pulling off headshots in sniper mode. Generally the mouse allows dpi to be changed on the fly by pressing a button.  4. Extr

Android Tip 3: Sharing a Folder between multiple users of an Android device

Android has allowed multiple user logins for quite a while now. This is can be very useful for tablets which are shared by family members. Normally Android erects strict Chinese walls between users preventing them from using each others apps and viewing each others files. This is a useful security feature and ensures your kids don't mess up your work spreadsheets when screwing around on the tablet and should also prevent them from buying €1,000 worth of Clash of Candy coins on your account. Sometimes however you really do want to share stuff with other users and this can prove surprisingly difficult. For example on a recent holiday I realised that I wanted to share a folder full of travel documents with my wife. Here are some ways to achieve this. 1. If you have guaranteed internet access  then you can create a shared folder on either Dropbox or Google drive. Either of these has the great advantage of being able to access the files on any device and the great disadvantage of bein

Portal 2 two screen coop on one PC.

I mentioned before that I intended to try Portal 2 in "unofficial split screen co-op mode. Well split screen on a small computer monitor is a recipe for a headache especially when the game defies gravity as much as portal. However a minor bit of extra fiddling allowed us to drive two seperate screens from one PC. The Steam forums describes a complicated method of doing this that I couldn't get working so this simpler method which worked for me might be of use to someone. 1. First I followed the instructions in this post to get split screen multi-player working: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904 A minor issue not mentioned is that you need to enable the console from the keyboard/mouse options menu I am using keyboard and one wired Xbox360 controller as suggested. Getting the controller to switch to channel 2 was tricky at first but as Chameleon8 mentions plugging it out and in again during loading works. The trick for me was to do the plug / p