Skip to main content

EVE: A serving of caldari raven with jam on top

I detest ECM. Last night I did a mission  Mordus folly which put me against a lot of missile spewing Caldari Ravens. I took me a while to break through their tough self healing shields but I managed to whittle them down one by one until it was just me and the undefended supply depot objective.

That should have been easy except that two jamming cruisers spawned. Their little missiles didn't pose a threat but I couldn't target or use my guns while they perma jammed me like a tag team. I managed to get my drones to attack them but the drones were unable to take down a cruiser. I tried distance but I couldn't get far enough away to break the jam (even at 75km). My only option was an intensely frustrating 40 minutes of waiting for chance based gaps in jamming and trying to lock and fire a single volley before jamming started again. It worked evetually but it was extremely tedious given the likelihood that a cruisers shields would fully heal before I could get another shot off. 

I guess I should be grateful that these jammers didn't spawn while all the battlesehips were still around or else I might never have been able to complete the mission. The write up on Eve Survival suggests that they might spawn while another wave is still alive but I think that report is a bit out of date.

I believe Minmatar ships have weak sensors and are particularly sensitive to jamming so I am going to have to think seriously about this for future jammy missions. Perhaps Ishould train electronic counter counter measures ((ECCM). Apparently this usedn't to work in missions but does now.

A browse through forum posts indicates that pvp players have long been complaining about ECM being overpowered especially in small gang warfare. I don't know enough about the subject to comment but this suggestion seems to be favouably regarded by commenters.

Comments

Anonymous said…
That's more extreme jamming than I would expect. I haven't actually played Eve in a while though.

The Maelstrom is okay on the sensor strength side of things, clocking in at 21. It's comparable to the Raven, 22, which would be considered the benchmark for PVE against Caldari/Guristas/Mordus.

I've used a Vargur with only 11 strength without too much hassle but that wasn't in missions, just ratting belts and cosmos stuff. I last did this about a year ago. I think the new changes to PVE ECM had kicked in at that stage but it was only a one month sub so maybe I'd just got lucky and didn't get hit hard.

Certainly give ECCM a shot though.

ECM in PVP is not that great. It really does fail quite a lot. And as has been pointed out heaps, those that deploy it are putting all their eggs in one basket. It better damn well work some times.

Don't worry, it's been nerf'd plenty in the distant past already.


Solbright
Anonymous said…
PS: My Vargur ops were in Caldari cosmos space - Okkelen - in particular the system of Otomainen. So, jamming did occur.
mbp said…
Reading the comments on Eve Survival no one else seemed to have as much trouble with jamming in this mission. Perhaps I was extremely unlucky (although bad luck hardly persisted for 40 minutes). I wonder if they changed something in a recent patch that affected it. Essentially the two cruisers were constantly trying to jam me for 20 seconds at a time. By the time one wore off more often than not the second cut in. It got a lot easier once the first cruiser was dead but the jamming was still extremly persistent.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Gaming Mouse: Logitech G300

I bought a gaming mouse yesterday a Logitech G300, here my initial thoughts. What is a gaming mouse?  There are a wide variety of devices available classified as gaming mice but a few features  seem common: 1. Wired rather than wireless: Although some high end models are wireless wired connections are just better and faster than wireless so most gaming mice stick with wired. As a bonus wired mice don't need batteries so the mouse is lighter.  2. High response rate: 1 to 2ms response rate so the mouse immediately responds to input.  2. High DPI. Gaming mice invariable boast high DPI numbers from 2,000 DPI upwards. This makes the device very responsive to the smallest movements.   3. Adjustable DPI . High DPI improves responsiveness but reduces precision so gaming mice generally allow you to adjust the DPI down for precise work such as pulling off headshots in sniper mode. Generally the mouse allows dpi to be changed on the fly by pressing a button.  4. Extr

Android Tip 3: Sharing a Folder between multiple users of an Android device

Android has allowed multiple user logins for quite a while now. This is can be very useful for tablets which are shared by family members. Normally Android erects strict Chinese walls between users preventing them from using each others apps and viewing each others files. This is a useful security feature and ensures your kids don't mess up your work spreadsheets when screwing around on the tablet and should also prevent them from buying €1,000 worth of Clash of Candy coins on your account. Sometimes however you really do want to share stuff with other users and this can prove surprisingly difficult. For example on a recent holiday I realised that I wanted to share a folder full of travel documents with my wife. Here are some ways to achieve this. 1. If you have guaranteed internet access  then you can create a shared folder on either Dropbox or Google drive. Either of these has the great advantage of being able to access the files on any device and the great disadvantage of bein

Portal 2 two screen coop on one PC.

I mentioned before that I intended to try Portal 2 in "unofficial split screen co-op mode. Well split screen on a small computer monitor is a recipe for a headache especially when the game defies gravity as much as portal. However a minor bit of extra fiddling allowed us to drive two seperate screens from one PC. The Steam forums describes a complicated method of doing this that I couldn't get working so this simpler method which worked for me might be of use to someone. 1. First I followed the instructions in this post to get split screen multi-player working: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1847904 A minor issue not mentioned is that you need to enable the console from the keyboard/mouse options menu I am using keyboard and one wired Xbox360 controller as suggested. Getting the controller to switch to channel 2 was tricky at first but as Chameleon8 mentions plugging it out and in again during loading works. The trick for me was to do the plug / p